What You Can Do To Stop Wasps In New Castle
April 25, 2019
Warmer days mean more time enjoying the great outdoors. Whether you enjoy going off on adventures or simply love spending the day in your own backyard, there’s something rejuvenating about fresh air and sunshine. Unfortunately, we’re not the only ones who think so. With the return to warm weather comes the return of wasps. If you’d like to keep your property wasp-free this spring and summer, here’s what you can do to stop wasps in New Castle.
Why Wasps are Buzzing Again.
Wasps don’t like the cold, so winter gives us a time of respite from them. While most die off, the queens hibernate then come out in the spring to build new nests and lay eggs.
In a perfect world, you’d be able to find the queen before she had a chance to start building her nest, which would effectively eliminate wasps from living around your New Castle home. But, unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world. It’s more likely that a queen will have plenty of time to build her nest and lay her eggs before anyone realizes what’s going on.
Prevention Steps Against Wasps
Your best bet when it comes to wasp prevention is to try to make your yard unattractive to the queen. If she doesn’t find suitable conditions when she comes out of hibernation, she’ll choose to go elsewhere to build her nest. What does a wasp look for when choosing a location for a nest?
- Flowers. A yard with a lot of flowering bushes and plants will be attractive to wasps.
- Garbage. If your outdoor garbage bins are easily accessible, wasps will know they can use them as a steady food supply.
- Water. If your property has a lot of standing water, whether on the lawn, in gutters, in pet food dishes, or elsewhere, it will attract wasps.
- Sweet smells. Whether from flowers, perfumes, food, or something else, wasps are attracted to sweet smells.
- Backyard BBQs. It doesn’t have to be in your backyard and it doesn’t have to be a BBQ. Bringing food outdoors to eat will attract wasps.
By eliminating or at least minimizing all of the above, you have a much better chance that a queen wasp will look for a different location to build her nest.
What to do if Prevention Doesn’t Work
If you still find your New Castle yard invaded by wasps, even after working to prevent them, you can try to avoid stings through the use of citronella candles, not wearing bright colors, or staying inside. However, the better option is to get the help of Moyer Pest Control. Our pest control technicians can safely locate, identify, and remove wasp nests in order to keep your family free of the dangers and annoyances that wasps bring.