Keeping Your Souderton Home Safe From Bed Bugs This Holiday Season
December 7, 2018
The holiday season is a time for families to gather together. For some people this is as simple as driving across town to visit other Souderton family members; for others, it means flying across the country. If your holiday plans include travel this year, whether you are traveling to them or you have family coming to visit your home, there is something you may want to keep in mind.
Bed Bugs love to travel, too.
Many people assume that bugs are not something they need to think about in the winter. Souderton gets cold enough that the insects that annoyed us all summer have pretty much disappeared. Unfortunately, though, some bugs remain active throughout the year, and bed bugs fit that category.
While most active in summer due to the hot, humid weather, there is a slight uptick in bed bug activity during the holidays, compared to the rest of winter, due to the increase in travel this time of year. Bed bugs can’t live outside in the winter, but they can survive a short jaunt outdoors on clothing, or inside purses and luggage. Once they arrive at a new destination, they crawl away and start their life in a new location.
If you plan to stay in a hotel or visit someone else’s home over the holidays, if you encounter an infestation, you could pick up some unwelcome travelers for your return trip home. Similarly, if family comes to you, they could inadvertently drop off some new guests at your house.
How to Avoid Bringing Bed Bugs Home When Traveling
If you plan to travel, keep these tips in mind to avoid bringing bed bugs home upon your return:
- Check the room where you're staying for signs of bed bugs before bringing any of your belongings inside. Check along the seams of the mattress, as well as between the mattress and the headboard and footboard. Don't forget to look behind picture frames and in the crevices of upholstered furniture.
- When you do bring your bags in, keep them up off the floor, either by hanging them on hooks or keeping them on top of a dresser.
Check all of your belongings before bringing them back into your house once you arrive home.
- Wash all of the clothing you took on your trip on a hot water cycle before putting them away.
- If you plan to entertain guests in your home during the holidays, keep these tips in mind to avoid ending up with bed bugs:
- Do a thorough inspection before guests arrive to ensure you don’t already have a bed bug infestation.
- Consider having a professional inspection conducted by Moyer Pest Control. Trained pest control experts can spot signs you may miss. Getting an inspection before your guests arrive is a great way to put your mind at ease. It also makes it much easier to diagnose any problems after your guests leave since you’ll know exactly when the infestation started. The earlier you can treat it, the easier and better it is for everyone.
- Do a careful inspection after your guests leave. Not only should you check for the bugs themselves, but also for tiny blood spots on the sheets and brownish-black streaks of feces on the sheets or mattress.
How to Rid Your Home of Bed Bugs
At the first sign of a bed bug infestation, call Moyer Pest Control. We use heat treatments to eliminate bed bugs, these treatments the most effective solution available. It’s also completely safe for your home and family, keeping your belongings in perfect condition and leaving no chemical residue behind.
Bed bugs don’t have to put a damper on your holiday travel plans, Moyer Pest Control can help!