How Cockroaches Find Their Way Into Souderton Homes
May 15, 2019
Cockroaches present serious health concerns when they get into a home. So, today, we're going to look at another way to protect your Souderton home against cockroaches in 2019:
Finding and sealing entry points.
There are many pests that can do damage to your home and gain entry, cockroaches are not one of them. But cockroaches can use the holes created by other pests to get into your home. Some spots that other pests often damage are:
- The wood just above the foundation walls. Water damage can rot the sill of your home and make it a target for carpenter ants and other wood-destroying pests. If damage is done, roaches can get into your home this way. Repair or fill in any holes you find.
- Seals around door and window frames. When gaps form around windows and doors, a seal must be put in place to keep the moisture and pests out. If it is damaged, both can get in. Examine your seals and use a caulking gun to seal them back up.
- Window and door frames, especially near the ground and in moist areas. A caulking gun can give you a temporary solution for these holes.
- Seals around pipes and wire conduit. Over time, weather and pests can damage these seals. It only takes a tiny crack for cockroaches to get into the gap your seals are protecting.
- Door sweeps and door weatherstripping. Your doors have a seal that keeps heat in and pests out. If it is damaged, cockroaches will take quick advantage of the hole or gap. Replacing damaged sweeps and weatherstripping can seal things up.
- Vent covers. When wild animals chew or scratch a vent cover off, pests may be able to access your ducts. And if a rodent has chewed through your ducts and gained access to your wall voids, other pests can use these holes. Replace damaged covers.
- Weep holes. If you have a brick home, you may have weep holes that can make your home more vulnerable to pest invasion than a home made predominantly with wood. Weeps let liquid from condensation out, but when unprotected they can let pests in. Make sure your weep holes have weep hole protectors.
If You Need Help
Cockroaches are resourceful insects. They can climb vertical surfaces, walk across ceilings, and compact their bodies to get through tight gaps. For the best protection, consider investing in routine treatments for the exterior of your home. If you need assistance with this in our Pennsylvania service area, reach out to Moyer Pest Control. We're here to help.