How Bed Bugs Could Have Gotten Inside Your Souderton Home
March 19, 2019
Bed bugs don’t just go away in the winter like many other insect pests. They can be a problem all year long because they live indoors. They can survive for months without a blood meal and even withstand cold temperatures for a brief time. They might be less active during the winter months, but as soon as the warmer spring weather arrives, they will easily move from place to place to find a host to feed on. By summer, a bed bug infestation can be back in full swing.
How do you end up with bed bugs
in your house in the first place? They usually come from places that are infested, hitching a ride in luggage, bags, shoes, and clothing. Bed bugs readily travel without your knowledge right into your home where they will make themselves comfortable. That’s why it is so important to be vigilant when you are visiting, or traveling, to inspect your sleeping accommodations before settling in.
Here are a few additional tips to help you avoid bed bugs:
- Thoroughly inspect used furniture before bringing it inside your home.
- Wash second-hand clothing immediately before wearing or putting them away.
- Inspect headrests in public places, including libraries, restaurants, buses, planes, and movie theaters.
- Keep all of your belongings off of the floor in public places.
- Check luggage, clothing, and bags after traveling to be sure you haven’t brought any bed bugs home with you.
- Take care of a bed bug infestation at the first sign of them.
How can you tell there are bed bugs
in your house? Probably the first sign will be when you wake up with red itchy bites on your skin. These will be in a group or line, possibly with a rash around it.
Here are some other signs that you may have a bed bug infestation:
- Maroon or brown stains on bedding and night clothes. These stains are a mix of blood and feces caused when they are feeding.
- Shed skins are common because they shed 5 times before they are full grown. They can be found in and around beds and other areas around a home.
- Tiny black droppings, streaks, and smears on bedding, mattress seams, box springs, upholstered furniture, and strangely enough around electrical outlets and baseboards.
- Miniscule white eggs around your home. Especially look in luggage that has recently been used, you may have picked up a few on your travels.
- Actual bed bugs. Usually at night when they feed when people are sleeping. They are about the size and shape of an apple seed, but flat with 6 legs, and 2 antennae.
If you find yourself faced with a bed bug infestation, you will need the help of a professional pest control service right away. Moyer Pest Control is considered the bed bug experts in Souderton and they can help you get rid of bed bugs fast. Most DIY methods concerning bed bugs have little to no success in eradicating them. Moyer Pest Control will effectively deal with every single bed bug even those residing in the farthest reaches of your home
. Our heat treatments are 100% safe for you and your home, with no residual chemicals. Call our experts today so you can gain peace of mind that your home will be bed bug free